Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Don't Wait "Until"


"There are those of us who are always about to live. We are waiting until things change, until there is more time, until we are less tired, until we get a promotion, until we settle down - until, until, until. It always seems as if there is some major event that must occur in our lives before we begin living." ~ George Sheehan

Perhaps many of you are like me; guilty of waiting "until..." to start a personal project, implement a lifestyle change, create a new habit, or mend a broken relationship. I'll wait to start eating right again until January - it's the holidays! I'm really tired this week - I'll start on that personal goal in a few days. I really should call grandma - but I'm so busy this week!

The funny part is, the longer I wait, the harder it gets to start. It's almost like my motivation to do something is a battery, and the longer I wait to start using it, the less there is - a form of motivation leakage.

Take this blog post for example. I started with the idea back in December (made ever so obvious by my statement about eating during the holidays). But I kept waiting to finish. Waiting until I had the right words. Waiting until something profound bubbled up. Waiting until my schedule calmed down a bit so I could "find" the time to write. Ah, the irony.

So I'm going to post this tonight. As I stare at the beginning of a new month. A month full of possibility. Full of eating better. Full of starting those new habits. Full of calling mom and grandma more often. Full of spending as much quality time with my amazing husband as possible. And full of actually writing, no matter how un-profound. Because I love to write. And it needs to happen more often, for my own sake.

So there you have it. No more waiting until...only going after what I value most. Love, life, adventure, and yes, even writing.





No comments:

Post a Comment